Pages

Tuesday, April 12, 2011

Online Training and Web Design: Creativity vs. Usability

Today, on a Designers/Usability forum I follow, a graphic designer asked what skills she needs to develop to boost her Interaction design skills, and in answer, several interesting links were posted. 



The most interesting answer was that a usability expert tries to design for lower than optimum user expriences where a graphic designer shows how a site can shine when everything goes perfectly.  I like that explaination.  I've been known, when creating online content for an organization, for requesting (not as my main computer, but as a testing machine) the oldest, slowest computer being used by employees at a given time.  If I am creating online content they need to use, I need to understand what their experience actually is.



OK. There's my opinion.  Now here are the useful links:

Pleasure & Pain--Improving the human experience one day at a time--So you wanna be a user experience designer

Alertbox: Current Issues in Web UsabilityBi-weekly column by Dr. Jakob Nielsen, principal, Nielsen Norman Group


Stimulus Design (Web 7 Graphic Solutions).  This site has some interesting examples of online user interaction solutions

No comments:

Post a Comment